Sunday, January 6, 2008

Friday Afternoon

I was coming home on south Mopac and I look to my left and there is a 5 car wreck right in front of me. I park my car, run out and see that 4 of the 5 drivers are OK. The 5th driver wasn't so lucky. Her car looked alot like mine did, but she drove a SUV. I call 911, and the answering service comes on saying" we are unable to take your message, please leave a message and someone will call you back." What the #$&&????!!!! Anyways, some other drivers call and got through, help is on the way. I turn my attention back to the injured driver who is complaining of chest and face pains, and is bleeding from the mouth. Another driver is like "let's move her from the car because of the smoke from the air bags" and I said NO. I told her we didn't know what kind of injuries she had and to leave her till the paramedics got there. I was able to stay and talk to her till EMS arrived and took her to the ER. I went back and talked to the driver of the truck and told her to have a nice day, and she grabs me by the arms and tells me " you were incredable, you jumped right in, took control of the situation and did great. I could never have done that" I look at her and tell her that I had been in a car accident similar to that one just 2 weeks earlier.
I am first aid certified, but not moving her was basic knowledge. I was afraid that she had broken ribs becuase her seat was so close to the air bag when it went off. I don't know who she was, but I hope she is OK.

No comments: