Thursday, November 4, 2010

Port-a-Cath surgery

I am having surgery tomorrow morning*Friday* at 7:30am. I have to be at the hospital at 6am, which means we leave the house at 5am, since we live a hour away. I should be home by noon, and the surgery itself shouldn't take more than 1 hr to complete. I am having a port-a-cath put it. It will be located just underneath the skin near my left collarbone. So, the next time I need and IV, instead of being the human pin cushion, they will just stick the needle in my port, and it will go directly into the line.


Tomorrow, I am also having my PICC line removed. I actually had to use my PICC line on Tues. for a blood draw. The nurse got blood without needles in less than 2 min.

My 1 concern about my PICC being removed is that the skin around my PICC line is badly blistered, red and swollen. I have been having alot of allergic reactions from all the tape that is holding the PICC line in place. It will take atleast a month for my skin to be completly healed. Please pray that my skin will heal soon and that I won't get an infection.

I will be sedated for my surgery. I am happy about that. Ihave already had my pain meds increased for this surgery and for the first time in a while, I am at the max dose for my pain patch and it alone is relieving all my pain. Even the pain in my knee and leg.

I did finally get the final MRI report on my knee and I tore my PCL ligament and I am missing alot of cartilidge from my knee. Compared to the MRI that I had done in late Aug., my knee now looks nothing like my knee then did. It is very swollen, about the size of a grapefruit. My mobility is very decreased. It hurts to put pressure on it, I can't walk very well, and my knee gives out on me atleast once a day. My knee surgery is scheduled for Nov. 18th, but more on that in a different e-mail.

I am focusing on one surgery at a time.

I would like to share something that really hit home when I read it.
" God may not be as interested in changing our circumstances as He is in seeing out circumstances change us."

Myself, and alot of other people have been praying for me (incuding you) for the past 2 1/2 years. Praying for God to heal me and for my health to improve. Well, God hasn't healed me and my health has only gotten worse, but my faith, my courage, my love for life have only gotten stronger these past few years.
I am not the same person I was 2 1/2 years ago. My circumstances have changed me in ways I never thought were possible.


Please pray for the surgeon and nurses as they work on me tomorrow. Pray for not a lot of post-op pain and for a quick recovery.

No comments: